Thursday, October 19, 2006

They get back ALL of their property taxes

A judge has ruled that the East TN city collecting taxes did not legally exist so, voila!! all taxes paid were refunded. Cool!!
Since a court ruled Midtown was not a city, it never had the authority to collect property taxes. So anyone who paid Midtown taxes, got them back.

"I went and checked on it. I didn't think it would, and when it come back we actually got money back," said Turpin.

They got $352 the club had paid on their building.

At Midtown Discount Tires the check was even bigger.

"I got a letter in the mail with a check. I didn't know what to think," said Midtown Discount Tires owner Melvin Glen Marlow.

Marlow got back $539.

"I called and checked, make sure it was OK to cash it before I cashed it," said Marlow.