Thursday, October 18, 2007

GOP candidates courting anti-tax activists

Link

WASHINGTON -- Republican presidential candidates Fred Thompson and Rudy Giuliani sparred Wednesday at an anti-tax summit over their records on taxes.

"While I was fighting for tax cuts in Congress, others were opposing tax cuts in New York state," Mr. Thompson said, referring to Mr. Giuliani, a former mayor of New York City. "Others were claiming not to be raising taxes but were instead raising every state-mandated fee and imposing hidden taxes on unsuspecting taxpayers."

Mr. Giuliani, who spoke before Mr. Thompson at the conservative Club for Growth forum, said he cut taxes at least 15 times as mayor, while lessening regulations on businesses, which he said stemmed a tide of corporations moving out of New York City.

"At 15-0 on tax reductions, I lead all of my opponents," Mr. Giuliani said. "I can support what I believe by my results. That is a big distinction between me and the other candidates, Republican and Democrat."