Thursday, February 07, 2008

"I think they don't want a tax increase – period"

Link

Cumberland County voters overwhelmingly defeated a proposed $26 wheel tax Tuesday that would have provided about $1.5 million in additional revenue for the school system.

With an estimated 44 percent of the registered voters taking part in the referendum, the result was nearly four to one against the levy.

During a meeting of the county budget committee Wednesday night, some commissioners felt the overwhelming vote against a wheel tax showed residents did not favor any tax increase.

"I think it sent a real clear message that people in this county don't want a tax increase this year of any sort. They're saying this is not the year to do it," said 3rd District Commissioner Lynn Tollett.

Fellow county commissioners agreed.

"I think it spoke volumes. That's why I like a referendum – it speaks volumes for the county and the people just don't want an increase," said 5th District Commissioner Sharon York.

"I think they don't want a tax increase – period – that's what I think it said," 8th District Commissioner Greg Maxwell said.