Wednesday, February 20, 2008

If the Govt says you are dead...

Nancy Amons at WSMV reports on a woman that simply wants the government to acknowledge she is alive.

Link

Todd’s struggle started with a typo at the Social Security administration. She said the government has assured her since the problem that they have deleted her death record, but she said the problems keep cropping up.

On Wednesday, the IRS once again rejected her electronic tax return. She said she’s gone through it before.

“I will not be eligible for my refund. I'm not eligible for my rebate. I mean, I can't do anything with it,” she said.

Channel 4’s Nancy Amons first reported about Todd’s ordeal last week, but Amons has since found out more about how common the problem is.

According to a government audit, Social Security had to resurrect more than 23,000 people in a period of less than two years. The number is the approximate equivalent to the population of Brentwood.

The audit said the lack of documentation in the Social Security computer makes it impossible for the government's auditors to determine if the people are dead or alive.