Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Culturally Appropriate Healthcare

Donald Boudreaux is Chairman of the George Mason University Department of Economics. His blog, Market Correction, is a compilation of his letters to the editor. Here is a great one on "culturally appropriate healthcare."

Link
6 August 2008

Editor, Washington Post
1150 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20071

Dear Editor:

La Clinica del Pueblo's Mauricio Silva boasts that his clinic supplies "culturally appropriate health care" (Letters, August 6). I love this idea! And I presume that in this age in which diversity is celebrated and all cultural preferences are equally respected and protected, I can receive my own culturally appropriate health care.

In my culture - call it individualist - I am not forced to pay for anyone else's health care and no one else is forced to pay for mine. I'm free to choose to buy health-care insurance as long as it isn't forcibly subsidized. And persons in my culture are mortally offended at the prospect of being forced to participate in any collective scheme of health-care financing or provision.

I call upon all persons respecting diverse cultures to stand up for mine, which today is endangered - to help me and my fellow individualists protect our culture from forcible assimilation with the dominant one that is arrogantly trying to strip us of our unique cultural folkways.

Sincerely,
Donald J. Boudreaux
Chairman, Department of Economics
George Mason University