Friday, November 13, 2009

How addictive is the fame and celebrity of politics?

The evidence suggests there is nothing more addictive. Once people step into the limelight and stay there for a short period there is no going back, their behavior is changed in some permanent fashion.

This topic has always fascinated me because as I have become more involved in politics over the last 8 years, it is clear that one of the most important dynamics in politics is this addiction to staying in office year after year after year.

Most long time politicians are utterly incapable of voluntarily walking away from elective politics. Like most addicts they will always say, "oh sure I can quit any time I like, I just enjoy serving the people," or some similar silly platitude, but of course they almost never leave.

And it has nothing to do with party or gender or race or philosophical leaning, it is simply a trait that all humans seem to share.